Thursday, January 18, 2007

Are College Degrees Overrated?

How many of us heard this line while we were growing up: "Get yourself a good education so you can get a good job.." or something similar?

Marianne received a Biblical book and workbook/journal from one of our churches for her graduation. She was mentioning an item in there to me and I happened to flip through the workbook. I noticed she had written: "I feel so inept and klutzy. I thought getting a degree would help but it hasn't."

This makes me wonder how many others of us feel exactly the same way. I got my primary
radio jobs BEFORE I ever graduated. Matter of fact, at my first radio job, in the classroom we were told to do things one way; while on the job, they told me, 'no, that's not right. For this job, forget what they told you in class..' I ended up leaving college for a year to get the work experience.

I've recently had to look realistically at Tallahassee's radio market and the available jobs.
There's nothing here. More and more stations are bringing in canned shows and/or voicetracking. WTNT's Julie Miles lost her midday shift to a voice-tracked show instead.
I never listen anymore past Cash and Carrie, a local morning show. Magic 107 has put on the syndicated John Tesh show; B103 has Big D and Bubba and I could go on and on..ad nauseaum. AM stations are even worse, if that's possible. I used to listen quite often to Christian radio, but with WCVC's demise there is no station here that appeals to me.

Starting over at 48 has been tough, tough, tough. I've discovered that I like the direct-mail approach of EasyLife Marketing, and have jumped into this venture big time. With one big mailing just two weeks behind me and another coming in February, I'm optimistic that this will
ultimately be a profitable venture. I've also pursued a couple of copywriting gigs, most of which were not worth the time and effort..but 2 or 3 are, and I'm hoping to begin one of those next month as well. I'm actually fairly booked for February. That's promising in itself.

But..did I really need a college degree to do any of this? I think the answer is no. I'm not
sorry that I got it, but I think I'd be at the same point in life without it.

I hope Marianne's degree pays off better than mine has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home