Thursday, December 14, 2006

Broadcasters I Wish I'd Had the Chance to Meet

Through my years in broadcasting, I have met a number of fine folks - announcers, board operators, sales reps, newscasters - and I'm all the richer for it, for the most part.

When I was in 7th grade, "Bob Richards" delivered the 7:00 AM news each weekday morning as we waited in the car with Dad for the school bus. He was
on the old WTNT-AM 1270 "full service" format - heavy on info with a few very lite songs here and there. In 1979, I did meet Bob - real name Rich Froemke - and we were close friends for many years, up until his death a few years ago. Great man, great voice - and I still miss our regular get-togethers and fellowship.

A few other folks I wish I could have met along the way:

Wayne Hodges, announcer on country WOMA-FM 94.9 - sparked my early interest in country radio.

Bear Bradley on 1510 WLAC Nashville - Top 40 picked up on skywave. I didn't really even like Top 40 but I loved listening to "Bear with the Hair" on LAC. He's
in Illinois now and we've corresponded in the last year.

The late Brody Timm - owned a number of stations, including Tallahassee's Gulf 104. Only had the chance to speak with him by phone. He was very encouraging, despite the fact that I did not have the voice they wanted on Gulf!

Vic Swan - was part of the Swan and Jacobs morning show on WONS AM 1410 when I was growing up.

Richard Harris - announcer and engineer on the old WLOR in Thomasville

The late Dan Trout, whose last gig was at WTUF-FM in Thomasville

Meredith Braswell, who also used 'Mike Evans" and "Dale Mitchell" on several local country stations. He was my all-time favorite country DJ.

There are probably countless others..but these guys were the ones I most respected for their talent and profession.

Thanks for your inspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home