Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Marianne's Surgery Update

Anyone that knows me is aware of the fact that I am extremely frightened of doctors and hospitals, due in large part to my hospital stays and eye operations while I was very young.

So this has NOT been an easy week for me!

Marianne was scheduled to be at the Community Hospital this past Monday at 6 a.m. for double knee replacement surgery. We were there before 6, and we were allowed into pre-op with her
shortly after 6:00.

I think my "brave" front vanished sometime shortly thereafter, as they began prepping her for surgery. It seems that when the nurses and ultimately, the doctor, came in and began the prepping, that I turned the same color as..oh, Casper the Friendly Ghost. Marianne told me later she thought I was going to maybe pass out in pre-op.

Once Marianne was being taken to surgery, we were given a pager; there was nothing to do but wait. Mom and I decided to get breakfast in the hospital cafeteria, which seemed to revive me a little. Then..back to the weaiting area.

Marianne was taken to surgery at about 7:25 a.m. At 10:15, the doctor came out to the waiting room to speak with us, and told us she had come through the surgery successfully and was doing
pretty well.

She remained in the recovery room until well past noon, and finally we were called to the desk and given the room number. We hurried there and got there just as Marianne was being wheeled in.

Then..the hospital staff decided that the room was too small, and moved her down the hall to a larger room. We were able to spend an hour or so with her, and then, because she was groggy, we left to give her a chance to sleep and get some rest.

I didn't get to see her at all on Tuesday.

Tonight, Mom and I went in for about 3 hours. I have to admit, I have a hard time seeing my spouse in so much pain. Of course, it should get better in time and give her mobility that she has not had in years. But tonight was very difficult for me. It about tore me up seeing her hurting so badly. The staff assured us that it will improve, and I appreciated the fact that her room is right next to a nurse's station.

Tomorrow (Thursday, June 21) she is scheduled to be transported to HealthSouth Rehabilitation, where they will be doing physical therapy and exercises. It looks like she will probably be in HealthSouth for at least two weeks.

I'll post updates here as necessary, provided that I myself haven't turned white and passed out..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home