Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My Writing Career..

I've really plunged into the catalog copywriting training. Having printed out the bulk of the course,
and watched the videos, I must admit, that I actually feel a bit excited about possibly developing some kind of career for myself once again.

Changing careers is something I've really never wanted to do, I guess. If radio stations and their owners had any stability, I would have probably stayed at the first station I ever worked at. But
that station sold to a new owner, who promptly fired all of us once the papers were signed.

I liked - well, loved - the next station, and worked there on and off for many, many years. The
instability of ownership there finally stessed me out to the breaking point, and when radio loses
all of its fun, well, it's time to go. I've been out of local radio for three years this July.

Which made me look hard at reality.

Find a new career path, or live on a little disability pay forevermore.

Frankly, I'm tired of being poor. When you are poor, you're not respected. You can't really help
other people. You stay stressed. And it never ends.

And, I had lost my ability to dream.

I'm planning to make a new dream board. There's a modular house plan that Marianne and I both like. She needs a newer, reliable car. On and on and on..and I realized that these needs/wants/desires that I hear about so often were driving me almost into depression.

Why?

Because there's no way I could provide them.

I will complete the course in just a few more days. And then, I am positioning myself as a catalog copywriter. I have job leads. I have the skill to write. I am HIGHLY motivated.

My weakness was in self-marketing.

At this point, I don't know if I'll do radio again. Maybe for fun with Part 15. But never again for
$7 or $8 an hour. That's an insult. And, I won't work for those kind of wages.

My goal is to be writing for a catalog client by July 1. I'll share my results here and we'll see how
things go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home