Sunday, April 22, 2007

Writing Website Update

I realize it's been a while since I've written anything about my copywriting course/career so I
thought I'd take a moment to update you on that part of life.

After months of studying and finally getting out to the real world with my Pro-Results copywriting,
I realized something..

..something that I knew already but tried to ignore..

These long, drawn-out, multi-page sales letters BORE me.

I mean, they're all over the Internet..they're in your mailbox..

but do YOU ever read them ALL THE WAY THROUGH? I don't!

In 2006, I wrote 3 of them. One for my coursework, and, it did get very good feedback and a good grade; one for a personal radio project..that one did well, at about a 10% response rate; and a series involving real estate that I produced for Mom and Dad.

The real estate one worked, but the land offer fell through due to a number of factors that were NOT related to my sales letter. Of course, that meant no commission, basically:(

This past week, I felt that I had reached yet another crossroad. While it is true that I am getting ready to begin building a new Part 15 AM radio station, it is also true that I realize that said station is never going to produce an income that will provide for us. I have to do something else
to make a living. I've had very little success finding clients here that need the long sales letters.
We need to eat; I need paying jobs.

And I stumbled into the world of catalog copywriting..literally, writing very short copy, or "blocks," as they're called, for catalog companies. With more than 17,000 consumer and business-to-business catalogs being printed, it certainly seems that I should be able to tap into this market, at least part time.

So now I have one final block of training to complete. I'm going to skip writing the final long, drawn-out vitamin sales letter that I can't seem to complete, and instead, persue the catalog industry in hopes of getting clients faster.

I've updated my Pro-Results-Advertising copywriting site to reflect exactly the kind of writing projects I will take on from this day forward. I will still do longer projects if the money/product/client combination seems "right," but for now I'm changing direction.

The new Pro-Results site is here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home