Thursday, November 01, 2007

Hope for Low Power Radio?

I was encouraged to note that the Senate Commerce Commitee passed the
Community Radio Act of 2007, sending it on to the full Senate. This bill would
open the door for more LPFMs all across the country.

That's good.

Although I don't believe the Tallahassee market has any frequencies left on the FM band, I'm still encouraged that finally some high-up people are seeing that the homogenized formats and
lack of localism are hurting radio.

Radio's strength is that it has the capacity to allow one-on-one communication, like one friend speaking to another. I understood this concerpt very well while I was going to college to study
radio, and then as I worked in the business.

Today radio sounds like they are reading liners off index cards..if it's not a brokered program or a satellite feed.

I was a little disappointed that Tallahassee's one LPFM sounds like it is running a satellite feed.
That is not the intended purpose of the LPFMs being established.

My real hope is that, next, the FCC and powers that be will make LPAM possible. That looks like my personal only chance to ever get a viable radio service.

Keep in mind, I applied for a commercial FM station in 1988. Out of the 13 applicants, I was one of the final three. They ultimately granted the licence to the Z-Rock applicant. That application,
engineering and FCC fees cost just over $11,000 - which went down the drain. I have never had
enough savings to go through the process again, although in 1995 I did pursue purchasing a
station in South Georgia - but the financing didn't go through. I've looked at a couple of other stations - but didn't attempt to make any offers.

I have located two frequencies that would work for LPAM, with 100 watt facilities on a 50 foot tower. Either frequency would work, while several others would work if the power is limited to 30 watts.

I'm ready to go for it, FCC. I'll take 100 watts, 50 foot tower, on an AM - and be happy! All I
want is ONE station.

Please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home