Thursday, April 13, 2006

Mindset

Your mindset can make you or break you.

I suppose that's the reason some kids from "good" homes grow up and seem to have nothing but trouble, excuses and the need to blame everyone else for their problems. Yet, kids from "broken homes" with horrible circumstances have grown up and decided to put it behind them and rise above it all.

I keep a positive mindset most of the time. I mean, everyone, including me, is entitled to have a "bad day" every once in a while. I've noticed that even on the rare occasion when I have a bad day, it's usually due to some circumstance beyond my control.

I recently write a "mindset" piece as I was preparing myself mentally for the career adjustment to copywriting. One of the things I've been doing is writing every day. So, the following was not for publication, the course I'm taking, or anything like that.

Here's what I wrote:

"Becoming a copywriter is the smartest move I ever made. I only wish I'd discovered it back in my high school days.

It's not really a "job." It's fun and exciting..and even a bit of a new adventure.

I never know who I'll meet or what nifty project I'll find myself working on. I
have so many clients waiting in line that I can't possibly handle all the work. But it doesn't matter. They need me more than I need them.

My business is very profitable. Matter of fact, the money comes in so fast and furious, I haven't got the time to track it. I have my home office that's not in
my home that I've written about on an earlier occasion. It has one of those bank-tube thingies to handle the deposits!

My wife loves the copywriting business, which has helped to free her from all of those 12-hour days. She now has her days free to do what she wants. After a leisurely swim she sometimes goes and counsels people with disabilities, or visits with folks at the retirement community where she interned. If she doesn't feel like it, she doesn't have to.

Since our home has no mortgage, I don't work if I don't feel like it, either. I just take on the projects that I enjoy doing.

I love the copywriting business. My copy gets great results for other people's businesses. It gets great results for my own products and services. They win...I win..and everyone is better off due to the service I provide."

The day I wrote that was not one of my "good" days. The refrigerator had quit,
there was a bad leak in the bathroom, I did not have a single copywriting client
and not much money in the bank account.

Here's the situation today:

The home mortgage really is paid off.
We have a nice new refrigerator.
I paid off the last of a once $17,000 debt incurred over five years ago.
I paid off, and now own, a laptop I once leased.
My two internet radio stations are paid for and debt-free.
I'm getting close to having a neighboring office space to use when things are too rowdy at the house for me to write.
It's the 13th of the month and all the household bills are paid.
The copywriting business DOES have business. One project is related to real estate and is worth over $1 million to the "client." I have four other projects in
varying stages and worth varying amounts.

I still have a long way to go. The leaking bathroom has about rotted the floor.
The laundry room developed a leak of its own. Hornets have invaded the underside of the house in the back. So, no, I haven't "arrived" at the point where I need to be.

But it's coming.

I hope you develop a positive mindset for yourself. Make it a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home