Tuesday, April 04, 2006

People Are Not Eggs

My stepson came to live with us in February. He's 28 and has what we believe is a form of autistic spectrum disorder. He's aware of the world around him but
isn't quite to the "totally independent" stage of his development.
He attends a local center program each weekday and the transportation is through a private service that sends a bus of sorts to pick him up and bring him home.
A couple of times things have gotten changed around, mostly involving who's riding which bus. A couple of times things have gotten changed around, in one instance, causing him to have to spend the whole day at home.
Now, in radio, I was alone at the station; now, as an internet radio station owner and copywriter, I'm alone at home, at least for most of the day, so it doesn't bother me at all. It about drove him crazy, and not because I was home as well. It was just too laid-back for him. I mean, watching someone else work at the computer for several hours doesn't excite me either!
Today he had a different ride while "insurance" or something or other was being changed. He doesn't care much for change of any sort, so I just asked if they had scrambled things up again. He kind of chuckled when I said, "They keep scrambling things up, don't they?"
For him, he'd prefer to have things not so scrambled.
He's a good kid, or maybe I should say, "a good egg."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home