Thursday, April 06, 2006

Office? What office?

I was "out of the office" yesterday (Wednesday) since I decided to ride over to Madison, Fla.,
to visit with my grandmother ("GG") over in the nursing home there. I did meet the nursing home director of admissions, sales and marketing while I was there. The day was gorgeious, the visit with GG was pleasant, and I enjoyed the freedom of being able to take off on a Wednesday with no "calling in sick" or boss saying "You can't take the day off, I need you here."
I do keep disciplined. I'm usually up by 6:30 a.m. and do the internet radio station program changes first thing, so that's usually done by 7:30. The bulk of the day is spent on writing, working on getting projects, learning what I can from the course I'm taking and from going online to a couple of copywriting forums and keeping up with email.
One of the things that caught my attention recently was a thread on Michel Fortin's Copywriters Board entitled something like "Off Site or Home Office?" It debated the pros and cons of having an "office" versus working out of a home office.
I've decided I need a home office that's not in my house. My desk, which is a small one, is way too little for me to work at on writing projects. The computer there is a 1995 486 that
I use only to write and save certain letters and projects on. So, more often than not, I do my
writing either a) outdoors in a lawn chair, b) outdoors in the swing or c) sprawled all over the bed.
The outdoor options are great when the weather is nice. I think I do my best work in the outdoor settings. If the wind is blowing it gets a little harder, and if it's raining..ugh.
So, I'm thinking about something like a modular office that's not too big and not too small.
If there's room for the radio stations, so much the better. But, I'm thinking at least room for a desk and a table for spreading out projects that are in the works, a half-bath, and a working computer and printer would be wonderful. It could be located a stone's throw from the house, while providing a balance between work and home life. It's hard for me to have "down time"
with things piled there on the desk in the bedroom.
And, I think a porch on the modular office would be a perfect touch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home