Wednesday, April 26, 2006

GG's Checked Out of the Nursing Home..

I've lost one of the best friends I ever had this week.

Gramma Geraldine, or affectionately, "GG" to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, passed away sometime shortly before 4 a.m. Tuesday morning.
She was 88. Even when you know someone's nearing the end of their life, doesn't mean it doesn't hurt when the appointed time finally arrives. I spent most of Tuesday alternately remembering the good times, then weeping.

I suspect she's having a family reunion up in heaven right now with Uncle Arthur, her sister Nellie, who died when she was only 19, Mamie and the other relatives who've gone on before.

Geraldine Louise (Howell) McCall was a fine one, as grandmothers go. But she never, ever wanted to be called "Grandmother."

"Call me Gramma..or just GG," she'd say whenever we introduced her to our
friends. The question soon to follow was "You want something to eat?"

Gramma was pretty much always around for me. She loved ice cream and one of our special things to do together was what she called "having a party." Her
version of "having a party" meant a trip down to Wendy's for a Frosty, or if there was no Wendy's, an ice cream store. We pretty much ruled out Monticello, Fla.,
a small town 25 miles east of Tallahassee, as being a good place to live because "they don't have an ice cream shop in the place."

During my growing up years, I often went to spend the weekend with Gramma. We went exploring new places; we went on fishing trips; we went to visit relatives that we didn't often get to see; we grew a garden together a number of times; and the list goes on and on.

When I first moved out into a small rented trailer (wasn't nothing mobile about that ancient little place) the cupboards, were, at one point, pretty bare.
Gramma must have noticed, for unbeknownst to me, she came by with some groceries, saying, "A little birdie told me you needed this." I suppose a lot of little birdies must have conversed with Gramma.

Gramma always believed in me. She helped fund equipment for the radio stations, and was still sending a $20 every month, "just to help that radio station." She bought the original streaming computer, and donated the current one last summer when she said, "I ain't gonna be using it no more." I'm writing today's blog on the computer she gave me.

I am thankful for all the time we spent together. I don't regret one moment for anything I missed because I was spending some time with Gramma.

Our last visit together earlier this month was very pleasant. She asked about the stations, what other things I was up to, and the family. She was having a good day, and my last memory is therefore a good one.

GG was very independent. I'm sure the dependancy of living in a nursing home was not easy for her.

I'm glad she's checked out of the nursing home. I'm sad that it means she won't be here to share more of those grits and collard greens along with those stories of growing up and living through the Depression era.

I'll miss you, Gramma. I love you.

1 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger LadyLey said...

I really like this Alan, GG will be missed, in some ways it's still hard to believe she is actually not here with us anymore. But I know she must be happier now than she was in the nursing homes depending on the care of others
luv,
your sis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home