Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Lost Art of Listening

I don't know about you, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to find people that really know how to listen anymore.
My general nature is a little bit on the quiet side anyway, so I'm a little more inclined to listen to WHAT people say. I'd prefer to give them a real answer to
their questions, if they ask me one, rather than just spout off things that may or may not be relevant since I was too busy thinking about what I was going to say next. Of course, this "spout off things" scenario seems to be more and more the norm.
Which led me to today's title..the lost art of listening. Nobody seems to know how to do it. I could be better at it myself, I'm sure. In my family-and-friends circle almost everyone is a talker. Some are big talkers. Some are
B-I-G talkers. Which sometimes makes it hard to get a word in edgewise, or complete a single thought, or sentence.
I've recently found myself a retreat of sorts. It's not in the house. Instead, it's outdoors. So if it rains, I'm outta luck! But I've found it a delightful idea. When things get too noisy, or I'm writing on a deadline, or need to be creative, or rest my ears, I often head for this place.
Bear, the Chihuahua, loves to go there with me. And he gets to go, because he never interrupts. He doesn't bark or make noise. He curls up next to me and enjoys it too. He's there, but in an unobtrusive way. And that, I like.
I've warned the family that you never know what I might write about on the blog, although I'll never name names or do anything to make fun of anyone.
I think the "talkaholism" that permeates our society and life, however, is frustrating.
So, why not LISTEN to someone today?
I would have told some folks about this topic and gotten their opinions..
......but I couldn't get a word in edgewise!!

1 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Thanks, Shaune! Appreciate the comments!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home