Friday, July 14, 2006

WJJD Revisited

I must admit, I never expected internet station WJJD The Country Giant to catch on as well as it has.

It receives music requests, thank you notes, donations of old airchecks and music and kind comments every week. Approximately 15, 200 people have listened at some point since I launched it.

Just two days ago, I received a note from a gentleman who has contributed some original tapes of DJs from the original WJJD-Chicago, saying, "You found 'Lord Mr. Ford' by Jerry Reed!" Which I finally did, after he had mentioned that song in an email some time back. The song was on an old compilation radio vinyl disc, not a Jerry Reed album..which explains why some songs take longer to locate when requests are made.

Most radio stations today don't really take requests. Well, if you ask for a song on their playlist
already, it will certainly turn up. If it's not..oh well.

Some time back a country radio station boasted, We KNOW our country music. Call us and make some requests. So I did. I asked for "Unbelievable Love" by Jim Ed Brown from the early 70s and "When the New Wears Off Our Love" by Jody Miller from 1976.

"I'm sorry, but those songs don't exist," I was told. At that time, I didn't own either one, but I was sure they did exist somewhere. Just not at Tallahassee country radio.

WJJD's appeal seems to be the retro touch combined with some current music. So it sounds retro, but not hopelessly dated or stuck back in time forevermore.

In any event, I'm continuously searching for those old 'Oh, wow' factor songs. I've found many, but not all of them.

I'm pleased to report, both Jim Ed Brown and Jody Miller's songs do exist, and are playing, on WJJD!

http://www.live365.com/stations/alanmccall

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home